As an exercise we had to compile our own guide for husbands in 2007. What follows is from the perspective of a single teenage girl.
1. He has to be concerned about your concerns. His problems are not that important.
2. He must share the burden of house, work and caring for children.
3. He must not be jealous of your vibrator (I have no idea why that one was in there, honest)
4. He must enjoy all meals, t.v shows and interests of yours. Even if deep down he dislikes it.
5. His main priority is your happiness and that of the children.
6. He must protect you from his family and your own, especially from the mother-in-law.
7. He must not push you even if you're not in the mood.
8. He must remain trim and fit. No man boobs and beer bellies.
9. He must make you feel loved and special, by doing little sweet things like a massage, dinner at a restaurant, leave the kids with grandparents for the night and saying "I love you".
10. He must know his place in the relationship. It is an equal marriage, not a patriarchy.
Now, as a single adult woman I have to laugh, but I do agree with some points.
In one way, if we're given a guide for our place in life things could be easier to know if we made the right choice or if we're on the right track to happiness. So that we conform. Marriage, kids, retirement, shared cemetery plots.
Then again, fuck it all. I'm quite happy stumbling along sans guide and standard issued up-do.
Pass me another chocolate sundae please, full fat.